The city of Montral allocated a $23 million budget to become a smart city by the end of 2017.
The project consists of 6 parts:
1) Deployment of public Wi-Fi – deployment of 14 public Wi-Fi hotspots for free Internet in the central areas of the city and in the main commercial areas, to boost tourism and accelerate the economic development.
The access points will be deployed in administrative buildings, scientifical and cultural buildings, and sport venues, for a 100% coverage with free public Wi-Fi hotspots in the municipal locations.
2) Very high speed multiservice network – access to fiber network at high speed to meet the needs of every citizen of the Montreal area
3) Development of economic niches – facilitate the emerging company in the smart city economic niche. The goals to become a center for innovation.
4) Mobility – Implement intelligent, data-driven transport systems, to optimize mobility in the territory
5) Democracy – Participatory Democracy and transparency will be improved
6) Digital Public Services – The municipal services will be available 24/7 through digital channels.